Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My brothers dog is lying limp and lethargic she is hot to

Customer Question

My brothers dog is lying limp and lethargic she is hot to touch but won't drink anything what could be going on
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question. Lethargy and weakness and not drinking are very nonspecific symptoms and could be a number of things. Can you tell me a bit more... What kind of dog? How old? Male or female? Did this come on quickly or has she been sick for a while?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It came on all the sudden she is a chocolate lab and is 5 years old
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She also had thrown up brown fluid
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there
Is she spayed? The warmth that you are feeling suggests a fever so my first concern is that she has some kind of infection. However, given how sick she sounds it would be more likely to be some kind of massive or systemic infection. Uterine infections can do this (if she isn't spayed). So peritonitis (infection in the abdomen) from things like an intestinal ulcer. The brown vomit suggest that she might have some bleeding into her intestine. All of these thing are very serious and can become life threatening very quickly. There are definitely some really dangerous toxins that can cause vomiting bloody or brown fluid... Such as mushroom toxicity.
She really needs to see a veterinarian to do some bloodwork ASAP. She should be taken to an emergency clinic to night. Is your brother able to do that?
I am... I just sent some information, but I don't see it.... It might not have gone through. Give me a moment to retype.
Generally speaking the things that I look for to determine if something is an emergency... First, if her gums are pale, that is an emergency. Or if they are weak and don't want to rise.... That is an emergency. Also, if they can't hold down fluids or are vomiting blood (or dark brown digested blood) that is an emergency. All of these things indicate dehydration, blood loss, and low blood pressure which can be life threatening.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she is spayed
Do you know if she could have gotten into anything? Sometimes pancreatitis (inflammation in the pancreas) can cause vomiting of brown fluid. If your bother can take he somewhere, I would really encourage that. If not, then the most important thing is to try to keep her hydrated. Some dilute chicken broth in small amounts every hour or so is sometimes helpful.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy