Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My rabbit has had a head tilt few days. He has now started

Customer Question

My rabbit has had a head tilt for a few days. He has now started rolling around the floor at times but is still eating and drinking. How big of a process it is to treat him or should he be put down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your bunny! Give me a few minutes here to type up some information for you...

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Given the description of your rabbit, there are two anatomical locations where your bunny's problem could arise. One of these is the inner ear, the other is the brain. Some of these issues may be treatable (a bacterial infection of the inner ear), lesions to the brain may be less successfully treated if they are due to parasitic infections because often the damage to the brain is already done and may not be reversible. This being said, I would say it is worth getting your bunny checked out by the vet in case it is an inner ear issue that is more treatable. I am going to link to an article here that goes into very good detail about head tilts in rabbits, possible causes, testing, and treatment: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=485. Please let me know if the link works for you!

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding your bunny. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you and your bunny!!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Most of the information I read were things I had already looked up on the internet. There was additional medical detail, but It didn't help me decide whether to get treatment or put the rabbit down. It sounds like it would cost a fortune to treat him, and I don't have a fortune. I don't think I was answered in the way I was hoping.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately no veterinarian is going to be able to tell you without an in person exam whether this is an issue that is treatable or not. There is not way to do this without at a minimum a physical exam, and possible even then, they will not be able to tell without additional testing.

I am not sure exactly what type of answer you were hoping to get. Unfortunately we can only give possibilities of causes of the issue and the possible treatments and prognosis (chance of recovery) without examining a pet.

If this is solely an inner ear infection, it is possible that antibiotic therapy may help him. This may be long term therapy though (months), and medication and exams do have a cost associated with them. How expensive the medication and exams would be will depend on where you live and how long your rabbit requires treatment.

If you have very limited funds, then treatment may not be an option, but I would still consider at least an exam, because then your local vet can give you an estimate of what the treatment may cost, if they do indeed feel it is something that is treatable. If you do not have the funds to pay for the exam, then euthanasia is likely the kindest route to take.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do know that. Thank you.