Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My yorkie has 2 lumps at the base of her tail skin colored

Customer Question

my yorkie has 2 lumps at the base of her tail skin colored and shes constantly licking and biting them Ive been keeping it clean with peroxide
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stephanie replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** and I am happy to try and answer your questions. First, I have a few questions for you.

1) how long has your pet been itching?

2) does she itchy anywhere else, or just at the base of the tail?

3) are you currently using a flea prevention product?

Hi there. I need to step away from the computer. If you are able to provide the additional information, I will be happy to assist you in the near future.

I have not heard back from you with more information regarding your question, so I am going to opt out. Please reach out in the future if you still need help.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Stephanie for you. Can you upload a photo(s) of these lumps to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no she doesn't itch anywhere else yes she is on flea preventative and shes been itching about aweek

Thank you for the photo but it's out of focus and non-diagnostic. Can you try again, please? A macro lens would be best.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
don't have one of those this is best I can do

Thank you, better! I can see the swellings. What I can't tell, however, is what they represent. Wheals due to a hypersensitivity (urticarial) reaction would make the most sense because they're pruritic (itchy). It's an unusual place for an urticarial reaction (hives, wheals) but perhaps she was envenomated by a flying insect or spider. I would see how an over the counter hydrocortisone cream rubbed into those areas thrice daily affects her. Please continue our conversation if you wish.