Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Will a dog jaw heal on its own I think its broke in two

Customer Question

will a dog jaw heal on its own I think its broke in two places
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In most cases, no it will not heal on its own. In order for the fracture line to fuse together, it has to stay immobile. This would mean either wiring the jaw shut or surgery. If the fracture is not very displaced, it may have a small chance of healing on its own, but if it is broken in 2 places, that is not likely to be the case. Plus, if the jaw does try to heal on its own, it may not heal correctly. The only way to determine the best course of action would be to have your vet do an x-ray, but in most cases, surgery is the only option for proper healing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had her to the vet and they did xrays and said they would like me to travel farther for a ct scan for like 1500. and then they may be able to fix it she got ran over by a ccar she lost her eye(blind) they said I might want to put her down but im not sure I can do that.I was just wondering if I kept giving her pain meds could she get along with a broken jaw right now she drinks but she hasn't been eating , she got ran over sunday night she ate and drank Monday but not since the med said she could loose her appitite do you think there is any way she can live with a broken jaw if I did nothing
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Well, anything is possible. I have seen some dogs do some amazing stuff with injuries like this. If it is truly broken in 2 places, though, that will make it very difficult for her to eat. The prognosis without surgery would not be very good. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John