Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

He fell out of car window is walking on three legs its the

Customer Question

he fell out of car window is walking on three legs its the back right leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no doesn't appear any
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: mudslide a shitzu
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Pearl, and I'd be happy to help you with Mudslide. So he is not walking on the back right leg? Was the car moving when he fell out?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
slow

How long ago did this happen, and did he put any weight on his leg after the incident? Does he seem to be in pain?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
5 pm yelped quit butseems in pain not stepping on it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
should i wrap it

My main concern would be something broken, although a bad bruise or sprain can also be very painful and keep from using the leg. Some dogs will avoid using the leg to avoid pain but do not continue to cry unless you touch the area that hurts. Unless there is a wound, wrapping would not be very helpful. I would suggest taking him in to be examined and possibly have an xray taken to be sure.

If he doesn't seem extremely painful and you cannot take him in right away, I would monitor to see if it improves or not. If it stays the same or worse, I would get him in as soon as you can.

Is he doing other things he normally does, like eating/drinking, going to the bathroom? If in a lot of pain he may stop doing some of these things as well. I would also recommend not to give any human pain medications as many can be very harmful to dogs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know this much i want toknow what you think as far as if it is spranged and what to do i called several vets and the cost starts at several hundred wqhich i cant afford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please advise me the best you can what i can do in the shape i am in financially
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please help me

If you cannot afford xrays, it may still be helpful to have a vet examine to see if there is anything obvious, and at the very least get pain medications for him.

I can also suggest that you allow him to rest for the next day to see if there is any improvement.

Have you touched his leg in any way that makes him yelp? Do you know if he is painful in a specific joint or area of the leg?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cant get him in locally til tuesday and emergency not til 4pm what should i do or what should i look for
what advice will you give me
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
im sorru for not having the money

Keep him as quiet as possible. If you have a kennel, that would be best to monitor him. You can keep him on a leash to go potty then back in the kennel to eat/drink/sleep. If not, a small enclosed area or room will work. If he continues to not use that leg in the next day or 2, there may be something more serious than a bruise/sprain that will need to be checked. If he is improving and not too painful, you can continue to do this until you can get into a vet. I still recommend having him seen eventually to be sure that he is ok.

I would also look into insurance or care credit if you are planning to go into the vet for care in the future. Accidents can happen unfortunately, and if there is a break, you will also need to be ready to treat. Ask friends and family for help if you can.

Did you see him fall? Do you think he hurt anything other than his leg? My other concern would be internal injury, so check closely for normal urine and feces (no blood, or difficulty going to the bathroom).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if the dog lets you touch the leg and not cry what does that tell you? Is it best not to wrap it and put sticks in there

Wrapping can sometimes cause more harm if it is not done correctly. Without knowing where exactly the problem is, a proper wrap (or splint) cannot be made, and can actually harm the dog. If he does not cry when you touch him, then I would feel more comfortable if you did have to wait because he does not seem to be in pain.

Is he holding the leg all the way up, or is he putting his toe down with light pressure?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
holding the leg all the way up but i hae seen him put the leg on the floor but up agaun right away

One other thing he might have is a patellar luxation. This is when the knee cap comes out of the joint. It can happen from trauma, or they can be born with this condition and then some trauma pushes it out. I am not saying that this is what it is, but it is not as painful as a broken leg. You can give him some time to see if he will have it go back in place on it's own. If you can get him into the vet eventually, and he is not in pain until then, they can help diagnose whether or not he has this condition or something more serious. My biggest concern for him would be pain, and if there is any internal injury. As long as he seems comfortable (not crying or painful) and is doing his normal things, I am ok with you waiting until you can get into the vet on Tuesday.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help

It is also helpful to let the vet know that you are limited financially but you want to at least make sure he is not painful. They can do a full physical exam and give prescribe some pain medication if needed. If you can try to gather some money for an xray, that would be very helpful. If not, at least a physical exam can determine where he is painful or what would help next. Hopefully he will start to feel better soon!

You are welcome. I hope he will get better. Let me know if you have any additional questions, and good luck!

**Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to issue a rating for me so that I am compensated for helping you today. Best of luck!**