Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My 10 year old black lab has black diarrhea last couple of

Customer Question

My 10 year old black lab has black diarrhea last couple of days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Ralph has had diarrhea - I will do my best to help.

There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type out some thoughts for you. You can reply at any time with additional info or questions.

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your patience!

Diarrhea can be caused by a wide variety of issues ranging from dietary changes or indiscretions, infectious agents (viral or bacterial), parasitic diseases, and internal organ disease like kidney failure, liver disease, or diabetes. In general, if a pet is feeling fine and eating well but having diarrhea, may vets would suggest a bland diet of three parts boiled white rice mixed with one part boiled chicken breast. This is an easily digestible bland diet to help firm up the stools. A probiotic product like Purina’s FortiFlora can also help - this is available through your vet or online. If the pet is acting ill in addition to the diarrhea, such as having vomiting, lethargy, or other signs of illness, then it’s a good idea to call your veterinarian for guidance. Many dogs with minor GI upsets will recover on their own, however some will require diagnostics and treatments at the vet.

Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.
~Dr. Sara

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions please simply reply with your follow up questions. I would be happy to continue chatting. If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)