Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I was just checking because we have a Boxer who we just took

Customer Question

I was just checking because we have a Boxer who we just took off a Duragesic analgesic patch (it was on his leg after surgery) and now he's panting heavily and rapidly. He had no side effects earlier. Just wanted to see what to do....should we take him to emergency vet or ???. We did wipe the area of the patch with a damp paper towel after pulling it off, as instructed, but maybe he licked some residue.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sy and he's about 2.5 yr, 70 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He just had minor surgery on his other leg but has been fine since that occurred Saturday afternoon.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Sy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. Can you tell me what type of surgery and how long the patch has been on? did the give you any additional pain medications? How is he acting otherwise? eating and drinking ok?

Sometimes when pet's pant it can be a sign of pain. The patch will start to wear off, which then we typically start pain meds after taking the patch off. I would recommend starting his pain meds and allowing him to rest. Certainly if he is having any difficulty breathing then you would want him to be seen right away. If he is not eating or drinking then definitely want to take him to be seen as well.