Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog a black lab 13,almost 14 is in the hospital now

Customer Question

HI My dog a black lab 13,almost 14 is in the hospital now fighting for her life,vet thinks it is hemmorhagic gastro enteritis,stomach ulcer,or cancer.She is bleeding from the mouth and rectum.I guess I will have to end her life today.Could you just comment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Oh, I am so very sad to hear this. My heart goes out to you during this very difficult time.

Sounds like she is having a bleeding problem which may be more complicated than HGE (although I have had HGE patients that do seem to bleed out both ends to a point a blood transfusion is required, and they will survive if this is the only problem although they may require a transfusion and multiple days of IV fluid therapy). It is very important to look for all causes of bleeding issues. I do think cancer must remain on the list, but I am not sure we could have oral bleeding or true frank blood from the hind end simply due to a stomach ulceration (that usually causes black stool, possibly diarrhea and vomiting coffee grounds type material which is digested blood). I would be worried about severe hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, cancer, platelet problem (such as immune mediated thrombocytopenia), toxicity (especially rat poison exposure) and the list does continue.

I assume that her coagulation parameters were checked (PT an PTT) in addition to regular screening lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check) and radiographs (screen to masses/cancer and look for foreign objects; metal can sometimes lead to bleeding problems), and screening for tick-borne diseases if the platelets are affected. All of this can help us to determine if there was any sort of toxicity. These cases can be very complicated and require quite a bit of testing.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am requesting a refund of the 19.00 I paid when I made the request at 6:00AM this morning,I heard from your Dr.Joey,after I had left my home To be with my dog at 8,he responded at 8:20,too late to affect my decision,My dog died this morning,all my request added to my day was Stress,and anxiety.I did email you 2Times to request a timely response,never heard till I returned home in the afternoon.Please refund my 20.00.thank you ******** ******
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if I do not hear from you I will contact my Bank,and they can fight this for me.I am very sad,very tired,and hope that you will understand,that your response came too late,after my dear Raven was dead.