Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My winner dog is almost 80 in dog years never had a problem

Customer Question

My winner dog is almost 80 in dog years never had a problem could go all day till I got him from work to go pee.....he now the past week gets on the bed after I take him out to the bathroom and once he gets in our bed his bladder just lets lose...he has also gotten big sista....on his stomach in the last two weeks. Please help me find out what is going on
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does Bentley appear to be drinking more as of late?

Is his urine more watery/dilute then usual? Or stronger, discolored or very odorous?

Is he passing a large or small volume in bed?

Does he appear to go when outside before bedtime?

How large is the cyst?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He just cant control his bladder anymore....for the past two years he has drank more water....what about his sista on his stomach????
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There big about fifty cent around
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not gotten a answer his systs are fifty cent wide and round......he has been dunking more water for the last two years!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

I have just received your replies (as I had to be away for a wee bit to see my own patients).

In regards ***** ***** situation, the cyst doesn't sound particularly significant if it is truly a cyst. There is, of course the risk that this could be something more sinister and some cancers can affect thirst and urination (via their effects on blood calcium levels). So, it is worth having your vet sample this to make sure it is a cyst (which can be drained) and not cancerous.

Otherwise, in regards ***** *****'s other signs, we do have a few other concerns. With this appearing to have lost control of his bladder but also drinking a lot, we'd be particularly concerned about metabolic issues (ie diabetes, Cushing's disease, high blood calcium) and organ issues (ie kidney, liver, heart, etc). Though if he has no control, we may also have issues with his urinary sphincter ability to close which can cause leakage. (Though the latter isn't likely the only issue since we have that elevated thirst).

With this all in mind, further to having the lump sampled or drained, we'd really need to consider having Bentley's vet check a blood sample. This way we can determine which of these is present and treat accordingly to decrease his thirst/urination and help him regain bladder control.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.