Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 16 week old puppy got a hold of a used dryer sheet and I

Customer Question

My 16 week old puppy got a hold of a used dryer sheet and I think may have eaten some of it. she has thrown up three times
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sting
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sting?
Customer: she is a 6 pound Shorkie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry that your puppy possibly ingested the dryer sheet and has gi upset as a result. Luckily it was used and so the biggest concern is an obstruction with her tiny size. The ingredients of the dryer sheet do not have any toxic properties therefore I do not think that you will see any organ issues from this ingestion. In some smaller breed dogs such as yours as I mentioned it may have some potential to get stuck

My recommendations tonight:

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves until morning and take on 10-15 minute leash walks tonight and in the morning to help aid in moving the sheet through and reducing nausea

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in the morning to test the stomach

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Sting comfortable and whether we need to be concerned about a potential obstruction from the dryer sheet

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I hope your puppy is doing well and suffered no further ill effects from the ingestion. I would love an update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman