Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My dogs back leg went "dead" and he toes's been

Customer Question

my dogs back leg went "dead" and he toes's been about 6 months...the vet said he potentially had a piece of cartilage thrown from the spine which damaged the nerve. The leg isn't coming back. I know just kind of drags around. I worry he feels pain but she says no. Any reason this would happen besides the embolism?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: of course.....yes this was 6 months ago
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: it started
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
waiting for an answer
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years.

Am I reading correctly that your question is what else can cause a back leg to not work and knuckle under?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok. I can help with that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he gets along fine...except when he is tired
he drags that leg when he walks but when he runs he hops like a rabbit with both legs together.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he can't do stairs well either

Any time there is knuckling over and the leg appears "dead," then there has been trauma to the brain or the spinal cord. If it is only a back leg, then the damage is in the cord behind the front legs (T2-L2 is the spinal column region). An embolus can cause that, as can a hematoma (bruise) or a disc problem. The disc can protrude and push on the spinal cord.

Really, the only way to know for sure is to do either an MRI or a myelogram (an x-ray taken after a special dye is injected around the spinal cord).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think it was an embolus
I stated that he possibly had an embolism in the original message
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it doesn't hurt him...he runs when a squirrel comes by and he seems totally fine otherwise. I just wanted to know if it was anything else

Yes, and embolism is one of the options, but you asked for many options, I had to include that one, even though you already have it on your radar. :)

Usually, they do fine, but in some cases, if it is a disc issue, it can cause more problems causing sudden paralysis of both back legs. This generally needs emergency treatment if you want to get function of the leg (or legs back).

Does that answer your questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To an extent. He has not had any other back leg issues. pretty sure that leg is beyond regeneration. He is 13 years old dachshund.
My last dachshund had a double disc extrusion and died on the table from a heart murmur. I won't do that again.

What else can I help you with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nothing I guess. thank you.