Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My puppy just ate a wasp net sprayed with Ultra-Kill Wasp &

Customer Question

My puppy just ate a wasp net sprayed with Ultra-Kill Wasp & Hornet Killer. The wasps ere not alive but the nest was wet. She is not showing in systoms and it has been about 20 mins.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Peanut she is golden doodle/lab and weighs about 30 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?
Customer: She was the runt of the litter.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What signs to I watch for and can she eat anything?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Peanut ingested a wasp next sprayed with Ultra-Kill Wasp & Hornet Killer. I have a few questions for you.

1. What are the active ingredients of the insecticide product?
  2. I understand that the nest was wet, but was it fully saturated with the insecticide?
  3. How long ago was the nest sprayed?
  4. Is Peanut currently on any flea and tick preventative? If so, what product, when was it applied, and what are the active ingredients?
  5. Does Peanut have any long term health issues?
  6. How old is Peanut?
  7. Do you have any fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Also, How old is Peanut?

How big was the nest?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Questions #1- Prallethrin, Lambda Cyhalothrin, Petroleum Distillates.
Questions #2- Yes, it was fully saturated with insecticide.
Questions #3- 30 mins ago.
Questions #4- No, she is not.
Questions #5- No she does not have any long term health issues.
Questions #6 8 months old
Questions #7 yes we have 3% hydrogen peroxide.
The nest was just a bit larger than a quarter. Peanut ate the nest within mins after is was sprayed as i was trying to get a bag to throw the nest away.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

The dead wasps pose no harm to her.

There are a couple concerns however.

If the next was quite large and she didn't chew well that can cause a gastrointestinal blockage if it got wadded up and caught.

The other concern is how much insecticide she ate.

The active ingredients in this product appear to be (it appears I found the same product):

1) mineral spirits - petroleum based product which will enhance the spray, but lead to the product being vaporized to some extent. Petroleum based products cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The bigger concern is inhaling them which can burn the respiratory tract and lead to a horrible pneumonia. Hopefully the nest wasn't saturated, and had mostly dried.

2) proplyene glycol - solvent, fairly well tolerated in dogs unless huge amounts are ingested

3) cyhalothrin & prallethrin - both pyrethrin based insecticides, which as a class are fairly well tolerated in dogs. They are highly toxic for cats. Symptoms of toxicity will depend upon the amount ingested but these insecticides can cause side effects including drooling, nausea, diarrhea, dilated pupils, tremors, incoordination and in very severe cases seizures. These effects can show up hours to days later, but usually within the first 24 hours.

The good news is that she is not on any flea and tick medication so she isn't being double exposed to to toxins.

And that was a very small nest, so her stomach acid should be able to break down that amount of papery fiber easily.

In all likelihood given those facts she will be fine.

I would gently rinse her moth with cool water to remove any residue.

Then you have a couple options.

Since she is otherwise healthy it is probably fine to take a watch and see approach, and treat any nausea with a bland diet.

If she shows any signs of tremors or lots of vomiting then have her seen and treated.

OR

If you have 3% hydrogen peroxide you can give her 3 tablespoons, mixed with bread chunks or a little ice cream, then take her out side and run her around to see if you can get her to vomit this back up.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose ONCE. The back outside to run around

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

A homemade bland diet mix is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then if she is no longer nauseous and is eating well start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back to her regular diet over the next 5-7 days.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****