Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My 5 y/o springer spaniel is having difficulty peeing. She

Customer Question

Hi, my 5 y/o springer spaniel is having difficulty peeing. She "dry pees" often, not just marking territory but actually producing nothing. The frequency of this phenomenon is increasing.
In the past we had an episode of blood in the urine following several days of one or two good empties in a day, along with multiple dry pees throughout the day. The vet we took her to put her on antibiotics for a week. Problem solved.
Is this a repeat of the past problems and requires antibiotics or is something else going on? We are on a limited budget now and will try to juggle things so we can help her but is this going to be a "forever" problem?
Thanks for your help.
John and Sue P
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Hello John and Sue,

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Kallie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

When a dog squats frequently but little or no urine comes out, it could be a bladder infection, or UTI. It is possible that a week's worth of antibiotics was not enough, and now the old infection has come back, or else she has a new infection.

When a dog has a bladder infection, the lining of the bladder is swollen, and it feels like it is full, even when there is little or no urine inside.

Another possible explanation is that she has a bladder stone. I would do a urinalysis on a urine sample as soon as possible. If you can't get a urine sample to take to your vet, I would take her in and see if they can collect a sample. I would also consider an X ray to check for bladder stones.

This is not normal, and it should not be a forever problem. She may just need another course of antibitoics, with a follow up urinalysis to be sure the infection is clear before you are sure it is OK to stop the antibiotics.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kalie. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote! How is she doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you, and please let me know if this was helpful and if you have any more questions.