Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a 9 year old "french bulldog" (intact female) with

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old "french bulldog" (intact female) with runny diarhea for the last 24 hours. The last 5 hours has resulted in small amount of bright red (possibly blood?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bulldog?
Customer: she has eaten brown rice and drank water, but the rice was whole in her stool hours after eating
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the bulldog will be able to digest that. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: isabella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Isabella?
Customer: she is current on all vaccinations.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: we introlduced a new puppy at christmas, he is currently 7 months old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did Isabella get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nothing out of the ordinary.
we were out of town for two weeks and just retruned home. her and the puppy were cared for by a very very well skilled and caregiver.
upon arriving home we noticed increased aggression towrds the puupy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she appears to watch his every move and will come at him open mouthed if he has a treat or comes near one of us, I assumed this was because she didnt feel well

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
her eyes are lightly red, not pure white.
her gums seem to be a bit dry, lighter in color and not slimy or deep pink
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she appears very thirsty and just drank a copiuis amount of water

Friend, when there is blood in the stool with diarrhea it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. Her eyes being hyperemic (red) could be a sign of a systemic disease or forceful vomiting. If her gums are dry this could be a sign of dehydration. If she is drinking more than usual this further supports the possibility of a systemic disease like: An infection, hormonal disorders, kidney or liver disease, etc.

In this case, I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian, blood work, urinalysis and fecal analysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. In addition she may need supportive care of IV fluids. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. In addition, pepto bismol will make the bleeding worst. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 2-3 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as discussed above. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter