Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I'm really not but she just had a litter of pups and I gave

Customer Question

I'm really not for sure but she just had a litter of pups and I gave them away after the last one was gone I noticed that she had thinning hair. I could see her pink through her hair. She doesn't seem to be itching About a month ago I poured her a concrete slap to set her cage on. I was just wondering what could cause the skin problems I also changed her food about a month ago too
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I haven't used anything for fleas
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: It may be fleas causing the irritation but she isn't scratching or at least I don't see her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The hair thinning is not likely to be due to the concrete her crate was on. It's more likely to be due to allergies, fleas or mites.

I would start a monthly flea preventative no matter what to make sure it's not a flea allergy. Revolution, Advantage, Frontline and Comfortis are all options for flea prevention.

I would also scrape the area and check it out under a microscope to rule out mites. Mites are treated with insecticides to resolve the infestation.

If all that is done and normal, then I would get a dermatology consult with a vet who is progressive in derm or a veterinary dermatologist. They would do allergy testing and food trials to get this under control.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other qeustions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If she also has loose stool could this be a result in food allergens
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Yes, if she also has GI signs, then allergies become the most likely.

Here is a nice write up on food allergies and allergy trials in dogs: