Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have 12 years old golden mix dog - he is fallen and very

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have 12 years old golden mix dog - he is fallen and very weak :-(
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: is your help for a fee?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he does not seem to hurt at all
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Byron - he is declining for last 2-3 month - he started to fall around march
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Byron?
Customer: his calcium levels are very bad - around 15
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

With a calcium level around 15 and progressive weakness over a couple months, by far the most likely cause is Lymphoma (a type of cancer). This is very common in goldens as well. Most dogs with untreated Lymphoma have a survival time of ~ 2-4 months without treatment. That seems to be where you're at right now. With chemotherapy, they can live ~ 12 months.

The diagnosis can be tough to make if they don't have lymph node involvement and the cancer is internal in the organs. When the lymph nodes are enlarged, we can do a needle aspirate and diagnose this. When it's more internal, you need organ biopsies to diagnose.

It sounds like he may be getting close to the time to euthanize. If you want to treat aggressively, I would see an oncologist to get a diagnosis and then start chemo asap. It's not ideal to wait weeks before treating, but you could still get a partial response and some good quality of life for weeks or months.

Here is some info on Lymphoma for you:

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.