Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Waiting to show bacterial infection or? 10 year old golden;

Customer Question

waiting for culture to show bacterial infection or? 10 year old golden; symptoms lack of appetite, reluctance to exercise, lost 6 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: MaijaWhile we were waiting started
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about MaijaWhile?
Customer: started antibiotic and canned food. Eating now and sleeping/walking much better. Seems more comfortable and less lethargic. Of course she wasn't eating....
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Those certainly are important symptoms yet they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. What is it that was cultured, please? Can you upload a copy of Maija's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have the x-rays. Cultures for bacteria, fungal or cancer cells via trans tracheal flushing. Views without creating a culture were waiting 3 days for the culture.I just wanted a second opinion as google searches are not conclusive.

I understand. What was seen in the X-rays that prompted the transtracheal wash? You mentioned inappetence, weight loss, and lethargy but nothing referable to the respiratory system.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mottling in the x-rays that could be any of the 3 suspects. ie...the culture to confirm/remove suspects.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She was also lagging in our walks, not as peppy as usual, occasional cough if I was using leash instead of harness. Nothing very explicit except I could tell she did not feel well...which increased in just a few days.

It sounds as if both of us will need to wait for the results, Marie. Unfortunately, cancer is a very important differential diagnosis in a 10 year old golden - the breed now number 1 for cancers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ah, okay. Previous golden died of bone cancer. Thanks for your questions.

You're welcome, Marie. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.