Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.

My dog's belly and crease inside s back legs are very red.

Customer Question

Hi, My dog's belly and crease inside his back legs are very red. He is scratching a lot. He has had allergy problems in the past.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, I do not see a wound. He has calmed down now. I've given him Benadryl in the past, vet recommended but I was looking for something natural to sooth his belly.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leahy - white schnauzer 8 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leahy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Leahy's troubles. Allergies can be so bothersome. There are several natural products you can try. First would be to start him on a fish oil or omega-3 supplement. Omega-3s are natural antiinflammatories. There are several dog formulations available, but human supplements can work as well. The dose would be 100mg per 10lbs body weight per day.

You can also bathe him with an antiitch shampoo such as a lavender or oatmeal based shampoo and can then apply coconut oil to the really affected areas. The coconut oil can be applied 3-4 times a day, but limit baths to once a week or less to prevent excessive drying of his skin. is a great website that has an herbal antiitch ointment that may be a benefit as well. They also have various omega-3 products and ointments to try.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!