Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Mixed rescue dog (approx. 50lbs) ate less than a handful of

Customer Question

Mixed rescue dog (approx. 50lbs) ate less than a handful of pistachio shells. Is this toxic for the dog.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: pistachio shells.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Dog is approximately 12 years old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the shells?

Friend, in response to your question no the shells are not toxic. The main concern is if they become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. However, it is very likely that he will be able to pass them in the stool. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change his diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the shells out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter