Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We put A+D ointment on a hot spot and he liked it off. He

Customer Question

We put A+D ointment on a hot spot and he liked it off. He usually does this but this morning it made him sick and he threw up some Fleming and is pooping clear mucus.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 28 lb ***** *****
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Russell eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just the ointment
JA: How old is Russell?
Customer: 16
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Russell?
Customer: He is also taking novox every other day for arthritis
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now while we can see mild GI upset from licking A+D ointment, I have to say that I am not convinced this has caused your lad's GI upset. Instead, this would fit more with a reaction to the Novox or an unrelated gut infection, pancreatitis, or dietary indiscretion.

Therefore, with this all in mind, we'd want to tread with care. If possible, we'd want to rest his stomach and give him a break from the Novox. As well, as long as he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and give every 12 hours (it will help with the upset but protect the stomach if his medication is irritating his stomach). Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And I would note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and reduce his lower bowel signs. You can also add in some fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to bulk up his stools and get him settled quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, he would have needed to eat quite a bit of A+D to cause the signs we are seeing and this is less suspect if he has tolerated licking it before. Instead, we'd have to be wary of his medication or those other issues being afoot. So, we would want to take the above approach to see if we can get him settled. Though if he doesn't do so with the above within 12-24 hours, we'd want to have a check with his vet to pinpoint the root cause, use injectable anti-nausea medication +/- start gastroprotectants to get him back to normal for you.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet