Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Aloha Dr Matt my 10lbs dog ate what i believe was a quarter

Customer Question

Aloha Dr Matt my 10lbs dog ate what i believe was a quarter to half of a 1 oz block. Caught him in act and immediately but Hyd Peroxide down his throat and made him puke. Seemed like he got most up but it was all chewed up. I tried to make him puke again but the Hyd Peroxide wouldn't work. From there i have been giving him activated charcoal every say 6 hours mixing it with his food. Its been about 10 hours now with no signs. Plan on running him the vet once he opens in the morning. But now jam sitting here going crazy!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you mean a block of rat posion? Do you know which active ingredient it was?

How much activated charcoal are you giving?

How many hours post ingestion are we?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry Tom cat rat poison active ingredient Bromethalin!
Puked most of the half oz block up
I do not know how much Activated Charcoal i have giving him. Two Table spoons so far.
10 hours post Ingestion
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Half Oz might be over stating it. i believe those blocks are 1 oz blocks and a good chunck was gone caught him in the act and made him puke within 15-20 mins
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

No worries,

Now you have been doing a really good job there with Kaimana.

The problem with Bromethalin is that it takes a very small dose to cause serious harm. In fact, if even 21mg remain in his stomach, we could see fatal consequences. So, you did a great job getting him to vomit and following with the activated charcoal. Now let me just have a moment and I will work out how much charcoal we need to give and what signs to watch for until his vet is open. ...

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
See I've read that small dose is bad but then I've also seen it takes 21 mg per pound of body weight! Just wanna be on the safe side!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, in regards ***** ***** toxicity and signs we see with bromethalin, there are 2 avenues of signs. First, at high doses, we can see acute collapse and neurological signs within the 24 hours post ingestion. This is less likely here, but we could still see progressive signs over the next 1-2 weeks. And that would require just 6mg to remain in his stomach to cause. So, a lack of signs just now isn't unexpected but we need to keep up that aggressive treatment approach.

Just to note, we need to watch for any wobbliness, tremors, changes in behaviour, GI upset, leg rigidity and seizures.

Otherwise, if he is 10lbs, then he needs at least 10 grams of activated charcoal and up to 40g. This can be repeated every 8 hours until his vet is open and will just bind any lingering toxin here. Just in case you have the milligrams version of activated charcoal, you can just open the capsules to mix with food or water to syringe feed.

Once his vet is open, we'd want them to start IV fluids to flush this out +/- symptomatic treatment for any signs he may have.....

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

So, overall this is a dangerous product as it can cause neurotoxicity. The doses I listed for Bromethalin are relative to his weight specifically. And as you can see, his being small doesn't work in our favour if any of the product hasn't been brought up. So, we'd want to use the activated charcoal in the dose range I noted and monitor for those signs. Hopefully, he did get most of it up but otherwise once his vet is open IV fluids would be best to flush this out and just avoid harm.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback