Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was fine on Friday came home and my dog is lathargic

Customer Question

My dog was fine on Friday came home and my dog is lathargic I was told he has been throwing up drinking lots of water won't eat. He also has lost 7 to ten pounds since Friday. His mouth is very dry. He is a Pomeranian of 10yrs old. Please help us
Thank you Debbie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Buddy is now starting to breath heavy then back to normal
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He had his Rabie shot on Saturday may 7, 2016.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

What did the vomit look like?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mainly the last three days. The previous 2months drinking more water and peeing in the house. Vomit was like bile and yellow colored. He just drank a little water and after started panting. It hasn't come up yet he hasn't thrown up yet. He seems to have dry gums. Gums are dark but not pink. Pressing on belly no pain or discomfort. Not sure I wasn't home. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Is that gum color normal for Buddy?

Has his urine looked more watery/dilute when he has had these accidents?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think they are. Yes sometimes it's more watery and more quantity and other times it's yellow in color
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think they are the same. Yes sometimes it's more watery and more quantity and other times it's yellow in color
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you again,

I am glad to hear that his gums are normal for him. Though I would note that if Buddy has been drinking more for that length of time, that suggest a chronic issue. At his age, we'd have to be wary of possible metabolic issues (ie diabetes, Cushing's disease, Addisons, etc) or even organ dysfunction (ie kidney, heart, liver, etc). And I do have to warn that that may be why he is losing weight as much as these GI signs which could be secondary to this underlying issue or a non-related gut infection or dietary indiscretion while you are away.

Therefore, with this all in mind, we need to try to settle his stomach but we will also need to look into that bigger longer term ongoing issue behind his thirst and accidents (which are likely related to his bladder not being used to the increased fluid intake). Now in regards ***** ***** his stomach, we can start with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, we can start a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Since you did report dry gums and we can see dehydration in dogs with increased thirst/urination (since they tend to have fluid imbalances), we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure Buddy's eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger his GI signs, but Buddy sounds to have more ongoing in this situation. In fact, I suspect there is an organ or metabolic issue underlying that has caused those other signs for the past 2 months. And it may be that coming to a head or the added stress of you being away that has allowed an opportunistic GI infection to take root. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or once his vet is open, we'd want him seen. They can assess his hydration, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. As well, they can check a blood and/or urine sample to determine what is causing those longer term signs. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach but also address that underlying issue to help get him generally back to himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** any way he could have been bitten or possioned
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome,

While we'd hope not the case for wee Buddy, if he had a low dose exposure to a kidney toxin (ie grapes, raisins, anti-inflammatory medication, antifreeze), then that could cause all the signs we are seeing. Though that would have had to have happened 2 weeks ago when the signs first started. Otherwise, we could see gut upset related to a more recent exposure but that would not explain the urination./thirst signs for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.