Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Acepromozine appears not to solve our dogs terror with

Customer Question

Acepromozine appears not to solve our dogs terror with fireworks (already starting). should we be using diazepam or alprazolam?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

You are absolutely correct, acepromazine is intended to sedate but does little for anxiety and alprazolam is typically the medication I use for this purpose. My second option if this is ineffective is trazadone which can also be used for anxiety. The hope is to calm the nerves with little to no sedation so that you can redirect the energy in a positive way and work on behavior modification with a trainer or behavioralist

CLICK HERE for one article that discusses the options for you

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am online another 20 minutes if I can assist you both further...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you