How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Joey Your Own Question
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4688
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Joey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Swallowed sonic boric acid : Eeyore 6 months : No all shots

Customer Question

Swallowed sonic boric acid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Eeyore 6 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eeyore?
Customer: No all shots current
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

So, the good news is this is relatively well tolerated. If only a small amount was eaten, then we can get him through this without a problem. With a small amount eaten, the absolute best first step if this just occurred within th east hour is to induce vomiting (I can give you hints to do this at home or you can take him in to be seen on emergency and have the emergency vet do this). That removes a lot of the product. The ER vet may administer some activated charcoal out of safety.

If a very large amount was eaten, then you need to have him seen on emergency. We still want to induce vomiting, but you he should be hospitalized with intravenous fluid therapy. The organ that must deal with the ingestion is the kidneys and this needs to be monitored for a day or two with the emergency vet and your regular vet. As well with high ingestions, we may see some severe symptoms such as Signs update digestive tract (vomit/diarrhea) to neurological signs such as seisures and tremors.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions