Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a 7 mo. old puppy (male). s Name is Kylo. Kylo ate

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 7 mo. old puppy (male). His Name is Kylo. Kylo ate dinner at 4pm. At around 7pm someone gave him a lick or two of ice cream. Not knowing this I found 2 piles of vomit on the floor. Then I googled ice cream and dogs. Not good.
Should we just let his stomach alone or can we feed him a little of his dinner again since it looked like he vomited all of his dinner from 4pm?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

I doubt if this is a very serious sort of situation, probably just an upset tummy but of course this sort of thing is always a gamble so if symptoms continue or you become further concerned then you should have a vet check him over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners use before getting a vet involved, these can often work well for uncomplicated cases, where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or has had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug of some sort. Here are some examples.

1. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else and this may be the best thing to do in Kylo's case. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give his intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 8 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. Then feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

2. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance a teaspoon or two twice a day would be fine for a dog of Kylo's size.

3. Of course as I said if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Kylo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I see that you requested a second opinion. I'd be happy to help.

I would completely agree with Dr Scott. This sounds like some mild GI upset from the ice cream or even an infectious gastroenteritis.

The other thing in addition to fasting and bland diet that I like to add, is an over the counter antacid. I typically use Famotidine (Pepcid) and give a dose of 0.25-0.5 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours.

Between the fasting, Famotidine and slow reintroduction to a bland diet, he should be back to himself within a couple days. In the future- no more ice cream for Kylo!

Take care, and let us know if you have any other questions.