Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

He has diarrhea and trying to throw up. He got into a piece

Customer Question

He has diarrhea and trying to throw up. He got into a piece of pineapple with brown sugar and cinnamon. He is a 11 week old black lab
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just the pineapple with brown sugar and cinnamon
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Goliath
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Goliath?
Customer: He is due for his second round of boosters
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How long since he ate the pineapple?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any blood in the stool?

5- Is he lethargic?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
For about 30 min. About an hour ago he weighs about 20lb. No blood and no he's not lethargic

Friend, the pineapple with cinnamon and brown sugar is not going to be toxic but it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. It is also important to consider other possible causes like: Intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting or diarrhea the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit or diarrhea after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter