Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Happy Memorial Day. we have father and son, german shorthair

Customer Question

hi, happy Memorial Day. we have father and son, german shorthair who first started just pushing and growling but would stop when left alone, just last 3 days they have gotten into fighting with biting each other father is 6 and son 3. we need to know if getting them both fixed if this will help or e have to give away son, we really don't to but we have kept them apart, afraid of fighting very hard to pull apart. last fight there was some blood from both so now afraid to try again. also ER vet gave them carprofen(75MG) and ceprodoxime(200mg) which is antibiotic and which is antinflamatory also 1 is once a day and other is twice a day, internet and labels don't mesh. thanks so much. canines in Kansas
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 6 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I have a few additional questions if you will just give me a few minutes to type them for you.

I am very sorry this has happened, I personally can understand how frustrating and scary this type of situation can be. I am currently working though a rescue that has had some issues like this with my own pack.
I'll be first to discuss with you that inter-dog aggression especially within a family is a hard topic to start with, but we will try to get some answers for you. A few questions:
Any intact females within the area?
Has there been any change in their environment previously? new pets, new people, construction, etc?
any recent illness or injury?

any ongoing illness?

How many times has this happened?
Is it escalating or staying the same?

Since I have not heard from you, I am gong to opt out as I will be logging off and would like your question to be available if you are still seeking answers.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I just came online, and I see your first expert has left the conversation. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

There is no guarantee that fixing now that they are fighting will stop the problem, but it might. If you want to keep them both in the same home, that is the first thing to do.

Carprofen can be given once to twice daily. How much do the dogs weigh? I would give 75 mg to a 75 pound dog, once to twice daily

Do you mean Cefpodoxime? If so, that is given once daily to dogs.

Let me know if this is helpful and if I can help with anything else.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been trying to get back to you, but instruction given were not working, so I called this morning and had help. so I hope I can't still get answers.
answers to your questions
1 yes, 1 spade female, boys sstill follow her around and sniff
2 no change in environment
3. no illness but Dad has 1 bad eye
4the growling and pushing started about 3 weeks ago and just 3 days ago started to fight, 3 times, have them separated right now, last 2 fights there was ssome blood from both, not bad wounds and they are both on antibotics . hope you have some suggestions so we can keep both dogs thank you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I am sorry about this situation with your dogs.

Actually, it is pretty uncommon for two unneutered male dogs to live together without fighting. When the younger dog gets to be 2 or 3 years old, he becomes socially and emotionally mature, and then the males will challenge each other to be "top dog". Getting them neutered as soon as possible is the best chance of stopping this fights. The sooner you have this done, the better the chances that they will stop fighting. The more fights they have, the less neutering will help. The fights will probably become worse, until one of the two is seriously hurt.

There is a pretty good chance this will stop after they are both neutered. Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How are the dogs doing? Can I help with or answer anything else? Was my answer helpful at all?