Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has very sore nd paws - shes licked them red raw this

Customer Question

Hi, my dog has very sore hind paws - shes licked them red raw this weekend. it started last summer - my vet advised sudocream which has done no good at all, she just licks it off. Throughout the winter and spring it was still there but only a little bit. the fields where she has her runs have just cut the grass down for hay making and dusty. i wash her paws after every walk/run with water - no shampoo as shes allergic. Shes a nervous dog that was rescued in Cyprus, She was a wild stray and it is believed she became seperated from her mother at a very young age. She was malnourished when i got her -almost two years ago. A few days ago i changed her to a wheat free diet. Please help - im pretty desperate.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: She also gets slightly red around her mouth and eyes. She looks like she may have had an injury to her back before i got her - she has a slight dent about an inch away from the top of her tail. That said - she runs very fast, her general condition is great - she has muscled up nicely (even though her build is slender0. She is happy and wags her tail - a lot! She is white ( i was told the other day that white dogs have depleted immune systms and that it could be Demadectic (?) Mange - afellow dog walker told me this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Besides the cream that your vet advised, has she been on any other medications? Do these signs peak in the summer for her?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No she hasnt been on any other medications. Yes, even though she had sore paws slightly throughout the winter and Spring time, her symptons have flared up dramatically this last week. How much is this costing me?

Okay thanks for the additional information. It sounds like she has some type of allergies. Dogs can be either allergic to food, things in the environment like the grass, pollen, mold etc. or a combination of both. Since the what you are doing with the diet and the cream is not working, it sounds like she may need some type of oral medication to see if it will help. Common medication that she can be put on is either some type of anti-histamine or a steroid. There is also a newer drug out there that works well in dogs called Apoquel. You can ask your veterinarian if it is available for you. If you want to rule out Demodex then you can ask your veterinarian about a skin scrape to test for it.

As far as the cost. I am a private contractor with this website so I don't have anything to do with setting the price or charging for the services. Usually that is determined before you ask the question. But I am not sure of the total amount that they will charge you