Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

Dr. I am taking care (fostering) of 2 five week old puppies

Customer Question

I am taking care (fostering) of 2 five week old puppies from the Sacramento SPCA for 3 weeks until they are 8 weeks old.
I've had them for 2 days -- this morning at 6am one of the puppies threw up and has diarrhea today - he threw up again about 1pm PST. The other puppy is fine.
Saturday he started on a little puppy wet food and dry food I was given from the SPCA to feed them. Today I have given him dry food only - after he threw up at 1pm I gave him a little milk which he liked - but nothing else but water.
He's been sleeping most of the day - his nose goes from cool to warm -- and a little dry.
The SPCA is closed today or would ask them -- want to make sure I'm doing everything possible.
What do you advise?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.
Did the SPCA provide you with any emergency number or information on what to do if you need urgent care for the puppies? So, a vomiting puppy is always concerning because puppies can become dehydrated quickly. And if they have diarrhea it can be even worse. There are a number of things that can cause vomiting and diarrhea.... From Parvo, which is probably the most serious, to an assortment of parasites or even a reaction to something that they have eating.
At this point, the most important thing is to keep the puppy hydrated. The problem is if the the puppy fills his stomach it could make him vomit, So, take small amounts of diluted chicken broth and give him a small amount (a few tablespoons) every 30 minutes to and hour.
If he holds it down, and is thirsty then you can give him slightly larger amounts. If he has held liquids down for at least 3 hours then you can try feeding a little bit of chicken and rice. This is very easy to digest so it is good for puppies with upset stomachs. But small amounts at a time.
If the puppy can't hold down even liquids our is becoming progressively more lethargic or if the vomiting or diarrhea becomes bloody, then I would try to find emergency care for him today.
I hoped that helps, but if you have more questions, please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.