Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is quivering , hunched over will yelp if startled.

Customer Question

My dog is quivering , hunched over will yelp if startled. Soft lump on side.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dexter, Scottie 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?
Customer: This came up very suddenly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How long has he had the lump?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. just today but he hasn't been himself for a few days
2. just noticed today
3. no
4. no
5.no

1- Where exact is the lump located?

2- Is the lump below or above the skin?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. left side, behind his front leg and tapers toward his hind leg
2. below

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog has a hunched back and yelps very easily is consistent with a painful back or abdominal pain. I don't think the lump in front of the legs is the cause, two separate problem. Possible causes are: A pinched nerve as a result of a bulging disc, a pullled muscle, pancreatitis, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked by nearest ER veterinarian to rule out the above mentioned medical conditions. In addition for supportive care. If this is related to a slipped disc it can lead to paralysis if not treated promptly for this reason it is best to not wait.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.