Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Ruptured anal gland : She is a 3 year old chihuahua russel

Customer Question

Ruptured anal gland
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: She is a 3 year old chihuahua jack russel mix. I noticed a big bump on her rear last night and it ended up popping shortly after. Ive been giving her warm cloth cleanings every hour but its a holiday and the vets are closed. Its a clen wound now im just curious if i need to do anything else for her
JA: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. Is Russel bleeding a lot?
Customer: No bleeding just a wound that looks like a broken cyst or pimple
JA: Phew. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Russel?
Customer: Not really.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she licking the area?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not as often as before because i clean her myself often. There doesnt seem to be any fluid left. Just a wound

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the wound created by a ruptured anal needs to be treated as an open wound to heal from the inside out. I would also recommend having her checked by family vet to express the anal gland and she may need oral medication. In the meantime this is what you do to treat the wound:

1- Do not let her lick the wound or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter