Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Shaking and panting : Minnie Mouse : 4 : Eating ok

Customer Question

Shaking and panting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Minnie Mouse
JA: How old is Minnie Mouse?
Customer: 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minnie Mouse?
Customer: Eating ok
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Thanks for asking your question. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Rectal temp is 38.5
Just today
No gastro symptoms
Slightly glassy look
Whole body and tongue shivering

1- Is she walking any different?

Her rectal temperature is normal, thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hasn't really been walking much. Just resting

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, panting and shaking could be caused by many different medical conditions. We have ruled out a fever. It is possible that she could be in pain. Common possible causes for pain are neuromuscular disorders (a pinched nerve, pulled muscle, injury) or abdominal pain (pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body), etc. to name a few causes.

Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. The next step for Minnie Mouse is a hands on examination by a veterinarian. In addition, she may need blood work and xrays to determine the exact underlying cause. Do Not give over the counter pain meds, most are toxic to dogs, could make certain medical conditions that need to be ruled out worst. And, may interfere with certain medications that your vet may need to use. I would recommend having her checked by ER veterinarian if she is reluctant to walk. Important to rule out things like a pinched nerve or pancreatitis.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter