Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog had a bug of some sorts attached to m behind s ear. I

Customer Question

my dog had a bug of some sorts attached to him behind his ear. I thought it was a drop of chocolate or something in his coat when i pulled it off it started moving its legs what was it and should i be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your dog has a wound! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted. Please also keep the bug to ensure your veterinarian (familiar with bugs in your area) is able to confirm whether or not it is one to be worried about

1.) No scratching if you are able to minimize either with a cone / e-collar or keeping him close to you to prevent the trauma. It can exacerbate the wound and delay healing

2.) Trim the hair around the wound if there is any but please be cautious with scissors so close to the ear and eye

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry. I am glad you shampooed it but if you can repeat later today with a blander shampoo as flea and tick shampoo tends to be quite harsh on the skin. Once the wound is healing you can taper frequency

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) If GG begins to rub the area then using benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to control the itch. This may cause mild sedation

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. I hope she has no issues healing from this bug's attachment!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour to assist you

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gg. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman