Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My boxer had a swallan face yesterday and bumps all over.

Customer Question

My boxer had a swallan face yesterday and bumps all over. The swallanness went away but this morning the swelling came back on the right side
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where the bumps itchy or cause him to rub his face?

Any changes to his breathing?

What dose of Benadryl did you give? How often?

How much does Rosco weigh?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He scratches all over. Breathing is fine. One pill every 4 hours. 50ilbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now based on the signs you have reported, Rosco sounds to be suffering with an allergic reaction. As his signs returned after yesterday, that tells us that the allergen is likely still in the environment. This could be due to his having eaten it or it may be something at home he has contact with. So, we need to check what he has access to and potentially remove anything new (ie home treatments, laundry soap washed items, sprays, carpet products, etc) that could be setting him off.

Otherwise, while you were dosing a bit too frequently (we only give Benadryl every 8 hours), if he is 50lbs, then the dose you gave was very small and therefore it isn't overly surprising that we have had a relapse. So provided the Benadryl didn't make him very sleepy, you can give up to 100mg every 8 hours. That way we can try to overcome and subdue the allergic reaction for him. And we'd plan to do that every 8 hours for the next few days. Of course, if he does still have signs despite that dose, we'd then need to have his local vet start a long acting injectable steroid to halt this allergic reaction +/- xray his stomach if you think he has eaten something that is setting him off (its rare we don't need to do so though).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )