Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our dog is about 15 yrs. old yesterday he bit my wife was

Customer Question

Our dog is about 15 yrs. old yesterday he bit my wife was trying to give him an asprin he is not known for biting then he lost control of his back legs primarily his right side his head is cocked to the right and all he can do is circle to the right
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Had he any issues with being medicated before?

How long has he had issues with these current signs?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no he has taken asprin for arthritis , he has alaplecia about two months he had a blatter stone remove and they believe he has cushings disease his current issues started about a month age he would pace and pace makingn a right circle all the time then he would stare into space, then yesterday he was staring the lost his hind legs he tried to get up twice during the night and fell out of bed he can't keep food down has thrown up twice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Radar. His behavior towards your wife raises two concerns.

First, we can see them lash out if they are in pain or feel vulnerable by their reduced mobility. And while her giving Aspirin was her trying to allay that, he may not have understood and thus took a defensive stance.

Otherwise and a real concern with the head tilt and circling as well is that the behavior is related to a brain based issue (middle ear could also be involved but less likely). This is because we can see all these signs as well as those with the back end related to brain bleeds, swellings, cysts, infection (meningitis) and with brain tumors. As well, any of these could cause behavior changes, confusion, reduced sight, and aggression.

So, in Radar’s situation, we do really need to tread with care. Since Aspirin isn’t a great pain relief, and could worsen his signs if he does have a bleed in his brain (as well as upset his gut if he is already nauseous), we’d be best to plan to have him seen by your local vet. If he can calm and settle, you can wait for his regular vet to open, otherwise an urgent care vet would be appropriate. In either case, they can do a full neurological examination to determine if we have a middle ear issue, diffuse or focal brain lesion. Strong pain relief (possibly steroids as they have good penetration into the brain) can be started to help reduce any inflammation. Otherwise, depending on their other findings, they may also start antibiotics against common infectious processes and give us the best chance to get him settled and back to himself.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Radar. How is everything going?