How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 13313
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Rebecca is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 2 year old golden retr ate some onions last week - had

Customer Question

our 2 year old golden retr ate some onions last week - had issues with the toxic reprocussions of that. she was getting better - yesterday she was getting back to the NORMAL state. I put out some ant poison in the back yard where she stays (liquid spray) I let it sit a while, then watered the area down to dilute. after I put her back in the yard - she came in later a little lethargic, she then vomited a little bit of her food, since she has been lethargic and then this morning she peed some blood. i checked the area where the ant poison was and it looks at though it had not been tampered with by ELLA. not sure what the issue really is. Only EMERGENCY VET is available out of town.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about Ella's problems. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How was she treated for the onion toxicity? If you check her gums, are they pink in color or do they look pale?

Can you tell me the active ingredient in the ant spray, or the brand name? Some are more toxic than others but most ant sprays are fairly safe. Knowing the active ingredient will tell me what symptoms to expect if she did get some.

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a bladder infection, but can also be a sign of "hemolysis" (red blood cells breaking up inside the blood vessels) which is seen with onion toxicity.

Since she got the onions a week ago, it seems unlikely this is from the onions, unless she got into more onions. If her gums look pale, or anything less than bright pink, I would be worried about her. Let me know how her gums look, and what treatment for the onions was done.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

How is Ella doing? I hope you were able to see what I wrote.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ella. How is everything going?
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I have not heard back from you. Was this helpful? Can you let me know how she is doing?