Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I believe my small 15 lb dog ate some crystal meth. I came

Customer Question

I believe my small 15 lb dog ate some crystal meth. I came home from a friends house who I know does do that and I think she picked it up off of the floor but am not sure of anything at this point. She won't stay still, she keeps swinging her head she is acting so uptight. I looked up on the internet because I don't have the money for a vet. I opened up the capsual and mixed it with water and gave her some of that. I also smashed up a valium and gave her thought along with the pet "stay calm". She is an older dog and I am so scared. Is there anything over the counter that I can get. She is my life and I don't want anything awful to happen to her but I am on a limited income and just don't have the kind of money they want to charge me. Please help me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She is just so a
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: She has been like this for about 8 hours. Should I try to make her throw up. It is horrible thing to see..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog being exposed to crystal meth. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How valium did you give her?

What is she doing: trembling, shaking, confused, weak? If you check her gums, are they pink in color?

How long ago would she have gotten the meth?

There is no antidote for meth, over the counter or otherwise. We just do "supportive care" such as IV fluids, and drugs for the muscle tremors and excitement, until the drug wears off. We use a tranquilizer called "ace" or acepromazine for the tremors, but unless you have access to some, you can't get it over the counter. All you can do is try to keep her quiet, in a dark quiet room, and wait out the symptoms and hope they don't get too bad.

Let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is she doing today?

Let me know if my answer was helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions. I hope she is doing better now.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is your dog doing?