Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

WHAT IS IT WHEN YOUR DOG MAKES A NOISE THAT THEY ARE TRYING

Customer Question

WHAT IS IT WHEN YOUR DOG MAKES A NOISE THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO CATCH BREATHING like shes trying to catch her breath
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 10 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

There are several possibilities for what you describe but my top suspicion is this may be a reverse sneeze. Are you familiar with what this is? If not, then here is a link that can demonstrate: CLICK HERE

If you view this and think this is a reverse sneeze, then this occurs when a dog has irritation in the back of her throat. Sometimes it is related to allergies (a postnasal drip sort of problem). Sometimes, if new, it can reflect infection in the throat or tonsils or even a lodged foreign object tickling the back of the throat. We only become concerned there is truly something we must explore (sedation and view the back of the throat) when it is new, persistent and a dog is highly bothered by it. Otherwise, many dogs do this normally on a daily to multi-daily occurrence. Some dogs do it seasonally with the allergy season (in those cases an antihistamine like Benadryl can sometimes improve the dog and reduce occurrences).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Emma. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey