Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Cried briefly twice in the night. Lethargic. Stomach hard.

Customer Question

She did not want to go out. I held her and petted her.
This morning she is "slow" and did not watch me fix breakfast.
I think she may be constipated but I do not know what I can give her safely.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since there has not been any vomiting, dry heaves or straining to defecate, this is more likely to be caused by an unstable disc in Roxy's back. This is very common in older labs because of their conformation. Since Roxy does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Roxy jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as you can get Roxy to eat something, even if you have to force feed her liquified canned dog food, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Roxy to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. My only worry is this tender abdomen that you report....this could mean that there is a secondary digestive issue so watch her for anything that could indicate this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is moving easily and getting up and down easily. Yesterday she did eat something different for dinner. By this time of day she usually goes outside and eliminates and she has not nor has no interest

It may be that Roxy does not feel well enough to go outside and eliminate...could be from pain or discomfort. Try the aspirin which should work within a few hours to see if she will respond.