Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She ate my adderall. I'm not sure how much. I'm trying to

Customer Question

She ate my adderall. I'm not sure how much. I'm trying to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy. They think she is about a year. 40 pounds
JA: How old is Daisy?
Customer: Approximately one year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: She had distemper and recovered after treatment about a month and a half ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat these?

Was it more then one tablet or are you not sure of the milligrams?

How much peroxide did you give?

How is Daisy just now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was about an hour ago now. They are 20 mg tablets but I don't know how many she ate. I have given her about 3 teaspoons of peroxide with food. She looks like she's breathing a little heavy but we have been outside waiting for her to throw up- she hasn't. I also have activated carbon if you think that would help.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if we aren't sure how many she had had, we need to tread with care. This is because Adderall could cause her agitation, hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, panting, and muscle tremours if she has even one tablet. More serious signs like muscle tremours of the whole body, seizures, coma and even death could arise if she has more than one.

Therefore, we do need to intervene. You were right to try peroxide but used a very small dose. If she is 40lbs, she needs at least 20ml but we usually give up to 40mls. So, I would suggest trying again now and you can do this up to 3 times. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can use activated charcoal at this stage. Be aware though that we need to use the strong (grams) version to dose easily. If she is 40lbs, she needs at least 40 grams every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, even one tablet is enough to cause her signs, and more could cause real harm. So, the above needs to be started now for her. If you have any struggles doing so or she just won't vomit, then we'd want to have her seen for the above and IV fluids to limit harm for her.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.