Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My Pomeranians eye is swollen shut what should I do

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

At home you can try using a warm compress and then you can use saline eye wash as made for people which may help you to gently remove debris and then open the eye. You need to try to see what is going on beneath the lids. If you feel the eyelids are truly swollen then this may be an acute allergic reaction (such as to something he ate or a bite/sting), but if it is more that his conjunctiva (the tissue around the eye) and not the lids are swollen, then this may indicate that he has conjunctivitis or a corneal ulceration/trauma.

If he has true eyelid swelling (and it progresses to involve the other eye or the muzzle) you are welcome to administer Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at home at 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. But if this does not resolve or improve within 1-2 hours and is worsening, this is an indication he should be seen on emergency.

If you discover it is really the tissue around the eye that is swollen and/or you cannot see the eyeball/cornea itself or see something that looks highly unusual or there is heavy discharge, then these are all indications to have his eye examined today. WE do not want to wait to have this evaluated.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.