Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I treated my dog with Sentry Pro XFT11 Flea and Tick Squeeze

Customer Question

I treated my dog with Sentry Pro XFT11 Flea and Tick Squeeze on For Dogs about 15 hours ago, and now he is behaving very strangely. He won't stop licking himself all over. He's licking his feet, his front legs, and his hind legs. He hasn't been able to sleep at all. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this isn't an uncommon situation, as some dogs can be sensitive to this product and often we'll see transient skin irritation. And since the product is absorbed and spreads over the body, this often causes as diffuse signs as you have reported.

In this case, you were right to remove what you could of the product. From here, we can try to reduce his irritation with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if his irritation is too severe, we may need his vet to administer long acting strong steroids via injection.

Overall, we do see this reaction quite commonly in dogs. Your treatment thus far has been appropriate, but we'd want to add in the above to help soothe him while this runs its course (usually it only lasts up to 48 hours).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.