Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My puppy just woke us up in the middle of the night to heavy

Customer Question

My puppy just woke us up in the middle of the night to heavy breathing and panting. She is a 10 week old beagle. I've had a beagle before who had congenital heart failure later in life and had cough fits due to fluid in lungs and it kind of sounded like that. The puppy stopped having the fit when we picked her up. She then was acting like she doesn't feel well (she usually sleeps with us but would not stay in bed and wanted to be by herself). Should we take her to a pet hospital or just monitor her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Given her age, indications to have her seen on emergency today would be if her agitation and cough continues or if she develops new symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, true difficulty breathing (or her gum color is not a normal pink but is white/pale or yellow), or abdominal/stomach pain.

If she seems to have recovered to normal, then I would recommend monitor her for a while and see if her symptoms recur.

With the coughing fit, I do want to be sure it was truly coughing and not a reverse sneeze which indicates agitation in the back of the throat, and is common in beagles but not a medical emergency. Here is a link that can show you what a reverse sneeze looks like if you are unsure: CLICK HERE

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.