Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My male Labadoodle seems to have a slow flow when he

Customer Question

My male Labadoodle seems to have a slow flow when he urinates. I only believing using natural healing herbs to cure health issues. Is there anything that you can suggest.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: No other problem that I can see other then what I just mentioned. I would like to increase the speed of his flow.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He seems to have no pain, just a slow flow
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is four years old. I just adopted him
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Quinn?
Customer: As far as I can see, this is his only problem. He seems to be very healthy other then the urinating problem. And he eats and drinks with no problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

When we see slow urine flow issues, possibly urinary straining there are several possible causes for this. The top would be a urinary tract infection, bladder/kidney stone (calculi), crystals in his urine, mass in his urinary system or a prostate problem (infection, tumor- he is a bit young for a prostate tumor; and if he is neutered then unlikely to be a prostate problem). Rarely, there can be a more general problem such as kidney issues that could be causing lower than normal urine production, but if this was the case then he should be sick (not eating well, lethargy, possibly vomiting, drinking a lot, etc).

The absolute best step, whether or not you elect to continue with holistic therapies, is to have him get some testing with his veterinarian as soon as you can arrange this to look for some of these problems. The start would be a urinalysis to look for infection/inflammation and crystals. Some imaging of his bladder (ultrasound or X-rays) may be indicated based on this initial test, or more generalized lab work to screen the kidneys and liver (chemistry profile with electrolytes, complete blood count).

There are no easy over-the-counter recommendations I can provide (either for medication or supplements) until we know the cause of his issue. You are welcome to give him a cranberry supplement (such as Cranmate which is made for dogs and chewable) but this only helps support a healthy urinary bladder and is best if used after treatment for the urinary problem.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.
Hi Michael,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey