Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida
94543743

When he pees it only comes out in drips, no noticable pain,

Customer Question

When he pees it only comes out in drips, no noticable pain, pees all the time, and drips when walking around.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound on the paws
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Apollo and he is almost 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Apollo?
Customer: He is constantly dripping pee, and it didn't start until we moved.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help answer your question. To clarify, is Apollo able to urinate normally when he postures and then constantly drips pee at all other times? Or is he not able to urinate when he tries and only drips come out?

Constant dripping of urine is called urinary incontinence, meaning Apollo cannot control his urination properly. There are many causes of urinary incontinence, and it will be important for your veterinarian to sort out what is going on specifically in Apollo's case.

Urinary incontinence can develop secondary to urinary tract infection and inflammation, which is simple to diagnose and treat (in most cases).

In male dogs, particularly neutered male dogs, urinary incontinence can develop due to hormonal imbalance resulting in weakness of the urinary sphincter muscle (this muscle tightens around the urethra to hold urine inside). If this is the cause of urine dribbling, treatment is relatively easy and effective using oral medications to improve sphincter tone.

Urinary incontinence can also be seen secondary to neurologic disease in which the nerves that control the urinary bladder are not functioning correctly and the bladder cannot empty appropriately. The urinary bladder remains large and flaccid and results in what is called overflow incontinence (meaning the bladder is so full that it must spill out to avoid popping like a balloon).

A less likely cause of urinary incontinence in Apollo's case would be a developmental abnormality in which the tubes that connect the kidneys to the urinary bladder develop in the wrong place and therefore the urethral sphincter can't hold urine in appropriately. This is less likely since he is 6 years old and just recently developed a problem (usually these dogs are incontinent their whole lives).

Lastly (and perhaps most importantly) urine dribbling can be seen in cases where bladder stones are present and are causing a blockage of the urethra. In male dogs prostatic disease can also cause urinary blockage. Signs of urethral blockage include straining to urinate but nothing or very little comes out, general discomfort and anxiety, frequent posturing, and frequent licking of the penis. Urinary blockage can become a life threatening emergency if the urinary bladder ruptures as a result of the increased pressure. If Apollo is posturing to urinate and is unable to produce a stream of urine, he needs to go to the emergency clinic ASAP to be evaluated.

If Apollo is able to produce a normal stream when he tries to pee, he should still be evaluated by his regular veterinarian sometime this week to determine the underlying cause of his urine dribbling. They will likely recommend abdominal x-rays and blood and urine tests (could be a simple urinary tract infection).

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarifications.

How is Apollo this morning? Did you have any further questions?