Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog had her anal glands removed two weeks ago. She was

Customer Question

My dog had her anal glands removed two weeks ago. She was fine when the stitches were removed, but ate some grass and it balled up inside her. She was having trouble passing it, and pushed hard. It wouldn't come, so finally I put a bag over my hand and helped it out. It was the size of an egg. She is an 85 pound yellow lab. Now she must have a rectal prolapse or a blood clot. Above the anus is a bigger pink enlarged swollen area. It hurts her. She poops ok, but it is relatively soft... but I am concerned about this hemorroid, rectal prolapse or blood clot. I talked to my vet on Sat. She said to try a spray and come in on Tues. Should I see an emergency clinic? WIll she need another surgery to stitch it in place? Is she in pain? Should she have pain meds. Once in awhile she will yelp and then run to a spot in the house, but mostly just lays quite lethargically. Should I call the vet on call? I am worried. I don't want her to be in pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your dog is having complications postoperatively. Would you be able to download a photo with the paperclip on your screen of the area for my review? This can help guide my recommendations. Thank you

Here is a link on how to download a photo if you are having difficulties: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

I am online another 30 minutes tonight to assist you both...

Using this pain scale below if she is >2, continues to be lethargic, or you simply want answers I would strongly advise a veterinary exam rectally to determine what is causing her such discomfort and to begin appropriate therapy. I too would be hesitant to wait the entire long weekend to know what is going on and that she potentially is in pain while you are uncertain as to the cause

http://csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf

I hope you are not having difficulties with the site and apologize if you are. I will await any further information you can provide...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your Lab doing today? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman