Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog (an Aussie)-10 years old, seemed to just have a

Customer Question

Hello, my dog (an Aussie)-10 years old, seemed to just have a seizure. We were throwing the stick (twice) and the second time running back, she seemed drunk, lost her balance, staggered, eyes got huge, seemed scared. Then after a minute of two she was fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sierra
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sierra?
Customer: It is the second time we have noticed it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

You may be correct but a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) needs to be differentiated from a syncopal ("fainting") episode which can look the same. Seizure is more likely but if Sierra has a history of a heart murmur or similar events in past months it would be prudent to have her vet carefully auscultate (listen to) Sierra's heart for both murmur and arrhythmia (irregular heart rate). When was that prior event, please? Seizures at Sierra's age are worrisome for brain tumor. Adult onset epilepsy is also seen but less commonly.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is fine now. Should we head right to an emergency vet clinic to have her checked? Or can we wait to see our regular vet on Tuesday? If we wait, anything we can or should do?

When was that previous event, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have seen it twice. Once on Friday. And once again 15 minutes ago. Both times she was in an excited state (when both my wife and I returned home from a trip and today while chasing a stick)

Thank you. More than one seizure in a 24 hour period is considered clustering and that can presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate without my heavily sedating or anesthetizing my patient. Sierra isn't clustering but the events are close together. If you can keep her very quiet until Tuesday you can avoid an ER visit. If she clusters, however, don't hesitate to have her attended to at your earliest convenience.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thanks. We are headed to an emergency clinic. No reason to take a chance.

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?