Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Hk : Dog has a wart like growth from under tooth : Finley.

Customer Question

Hk
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Dog has a wart like growth from under tooth
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Finley. 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Finley?
Customer: Not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Trying to attach photo
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I see your dog has developed a growth under a tooth.

How long has this been present?

Is it bleeding at all?

What color is it and is it attached to the gums or the tooth?

If you are able to post a good quality (focused and not blurry) photo, that would help me greatly.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Noticed today
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

That is indeed a gingival mass affecting the lower canine.

What breed of dog is Finley?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

Golden retrievers are highly prone to one specific type of oral mass: an oral fibrosarcoma. This may or may not be what is actually present. It could be gingival hyperplasia, or an apples (benign tumor). I recommend having the mass removed by your vet. Typically this is going to be under full general anesthesia and a full oral exam and dental radiographs are recommended. Your vet will also want to check bloodwork before surgery to ensure there are no major problems present. Without surgically removing it and sending it out to a pathologist, we don't know what exactly is there right now. This is likely not an emergency, so it should be fine to wait to see your vet on Tuesday.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I apologize, the auto spell check changed epulis (benign tumor) to apples

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it painfull for the dog. He appears to be fine
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

It is likely not painful, however if left for a very long time (months or longer) it could be come painful down the road

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does it affect eating ?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

At this point it is likely not affecting eating, unless you are noticing a loss of appetite. If left to grow larger over a long period of time it will affect eating by enlarging and causing discomfort.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok Thks. He is eating like a pig and seems fine energy wise
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I don't expect him to have any changes any time soon and it's unlikely this will cause a problem in the short term. Most of the time these are benign growths and surgical removal prevents them from causing any major problem.

I wish you and your dog the best. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a happy Memorial day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

I just wanted to check in and see how things are going. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please feel free to accept and rate this conversation if you do not need any further assistance. Thank you and have a wonderful day!