Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog takes Trifexis preventation. He won't just take the

Customer Question

My dog takes Trifexis for heartworm preventation. He won't just take the pill so we have to crush it up in his food. But today he ate about a third of his food and the rest is just sitting there. So he has not gotten his full dose of Trifexis. Should I try to give him another pill by just putting peanut butter on it or will the original pill crushed in his food still be okay if it sits in bowl all day?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mcgruff and he is 7.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mcgriff?
Customer: No, he is usually fine after the Trifexis. He has no allergies.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, if you give him the remaining of the pill that has been sitting in the bowl for the day should still be effective. I would try to collect the remaining of the pill and give it with some peanut butter.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter