Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has a small black s front paw that is raised and red and

Customer Question

Hi, he has a small black for between his front paw that is raised and red and he is licking it a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Is there a place I can attach a picture?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 5
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

You can upload a photo(s) by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi did that pic come through?

Yes, but it's too out of focus to be diagnostic. Please try again. If you have a macro lens please use it.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you! I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Black growths associated with the paw too often represent melanomas. This needs to be excised and biopsied. It can also represent a melanocytoma which is the benign form of melanoma but grossly these can't be distinguished one from the other; hence, the need to remove this and biopsy it. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Actually - I don't need a live phone call if someone can respond back to those photos

Please see above your last post timestamped 1:25PM my time.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi dr. Michael - can u c any of the other pics that I uploaded?

Yes, I responded to you above. I'll repost here:

"Black growths associated with the paw too often represent melanomas. This needs to be excised and biopsied. It can also represent a melanocytoma which is the benign form of melanoma but grossly these can't be distinguished one from the other; hence, the need to remove this and biopsy it. Please continue our conversation if you wish."

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can u c the photo? Isn't it more likely he stepped on something sharp, got a splinter or a bug bite?

I can see the third posted photo well. The other two are too out of focus to be diagnostic. The reason I don't believe you're looking at a foreign body reaction or envenomation is the presence of hyperpigmentation (the "black"). A bug bite would go away in a few days and a foreign body would need to be removed and so if you didn't see this go away in a few days, his vet will need to look at it in any event. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The black is just a tiny speck. It looks more like a small / raised puncture (needle size). That makes me think bee sting or something.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just added another pic

Unfortunately, still out of focus. I blew up the one in-focus photo. It doesn't look like a bug bite. The dot is either the tip of a foreign body or pigmented growth as I alluded to earlier.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If it is the tip of a foreign body, would it need to b removed? I will take him to the vet but I am wondering if I should try to find an emergency vet today?He has has it since Thursday night. He can walk on it but he licks it a lot if I don't stop him.

Yes, foreign bodies need to be removed lest they fester. This doesn't constitute an emergency although he'll probably drive himself and you nuts by not leaving it alone. Yes, that's the best photo.